current events: hostage taking + miss universe 2010

Since I'm tired of posting my rants about my life, I figured out that I should be involved with what's going on in the country. The past two days was like riding a ferris wheel. Sunday was waiting for the ride to go up. Monday came and next thing you know, you're indulging yourself with a picturesque view of the carnival. And with a snap of a finger, you finally came to the realization that the ride was over and you're already on the ground.

Quirino Grandstand Hostage Taking

There was a time when Nons and I were arguing about Cory's acceptance of the debt Philippines acquired during the time of Marcos. She was justifying that the country must have been a not-so-poor country if Cory didn't recognize the said debt. I, on the other hand, approved of Cory's acceptance since not recognizing the debt would reflect in the country's state in the international community.

Recently, a huge scar was made by a Filipino ex-policeman named Rolando Mendoza when he held hostage a bunch of tourists from Hongkong. He held them captives inside the tourist bus. From how the media conveyed his message, he was dismissed from office with a crime that he didn't make. From the heartache he got, he rebelled by making this heinous crime. The hostage taking took about more or less eight hours (10am-6pm). Media were all over the place. When the driver escaped, he told the police that everyone was already dead. However, it isn't true. The policemen's resort was to put a tear-gas inside. Not knowing that there were still people alive inside, the policemen didn't have an idea that it hurt the Hongkong nationals inside. At the end of the day, there were many casualties and Rolando Mendoza, himself, died too. Here's a part of the post made by a survivor went like this,

The story inside the bus from a survivor of the quirino bloodbath hostage drama.

Mr. Mendoza was already upset even before he saw on television what the policemen did to his brother. The other tourists who remained inside the bus were complaining... The hostage taker, as you know him was really nice. He treated us okay and even let the elders and the children leave the bus. He said your policemen treated him unfairly. He was a policeman too and was accused of doing something he had no knowledge of. But your government didn't listen so he used us to get everyone's attention... A girl about my age started screaming. Mr. Mendoza demanded her to stop but she didn't understand English. God, he had to slash her neck with a knife just to put her to rest. Her boyfriend who tried to hit him was shot in the head. Tension was rising... I guess its in your nature not to inflict pain on others unless it was necessary. I remember him saying that he will free us before sundown and implored us to forget everything when we return home. But his words don't matter now... Finally, somebody was able to open the escape hatch at the back of the bus. Freedom. But I knew Mister Mendoza was still alive. I knew he was just waiting for a chance to strike back at his enemies. So I told those around me not to escape. Let the authorities come for us instead. Then there was gunfire...Then somebody from outside the bus threw a canister. It forced out a black smoke that is so painful to the eyes and putrid smelling to the nose. People started screaming. We cannot breathe... Mister Mendoza finally admits his mistake and said sorry to everyone, dead or alive. He then ran towards the front of the bus where he would meet his maker. As he passed by my chair with bullets whistling overhead, I clutched my hand on the velvet curtain and wrapped it around my face. All I could think of was to stay alive - for my child who is waiting for me back in Xinjang. I know I will survive, I will come home.

-Bang Lu Min Survivor, Quirino Bloodbath

The bad side of the incident was, Mendoza held hostage foreigners. This is a serious problem that might scar the international relations faced by the Aquino administration. I guess, he should really clear this up. Some countries were already issuing a ban and request for the tourist to leave the country immediately. Being a Filipino, I think they shouldn't exaggerate. Filipinos were regarded as hospitable people, taking care of their visitors and always welcoming them with smiles on their faces. It's sad to know that a mistake made by one was reflected to the whole Filipino body.


Venus Raj won 4th runner up in Ms. Universe 2010

Ma. Venus Raj, the woman who fought for her crown when dethroned, was able to push her might in yesterday's coronation day of Ms. Universe 2010. She was selected as one of the top 5 candidates (the only Asian country that got in). Everyone was so proud of her until question and answer portion. In MY OPINION, he kind of let Filipinos down that time. I know there isn't a right or wrong answer in that kind of competition. The MAJOR MAJOR problem was, she didn't answer the question. The Q&A part went like this,

Q:"What is the biggest mistake that you’ve ever made in your life and what did you do to make it right?"

A:“In my 22 years of existence there is nothing major, major problem I've done because I'm confident in myself and my family. So, thank you so much that I am here, thank you thank you so much."

Honestly, it's frustrating to hear an answer like that when your bet is already one step away to the crown. She must've talked about her being dethroned but regaining back the crown. I got one answer that seems to be the most appealing answer that Venus Raj should've answered coming from this site http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/lifestyle/08/24/10/major-major-venus-rajs-legacy.

"The biggest mistake I did in my life is when I doubt, fear and lose hope, the time that the Miss Philippines title was taken away from me due to the legality on the information in my birth certificate.

What did I do to make it right?Well with the support of my friends, families, countrymen and with the courage that God gave me. I fought to regain the title; not because of the crown nor the glamor; but it is my dream. And that's why I'm here standing in front of you, seeing your wonderful faces smiling at me here in Las Vegas. Mabuhay!"

I guess this must have cost her the prestigious crown. It shows her fighter side. The side that most women lack these days. It shows free will and determination, major major components of a role model.


Haayy... 'So much of current events. My head is aching right now. I don't know if it's oversleeping or lack of sleep. Waking up isn't a wonderful experience for me lately. But, don't get me wrong. As what others say, "Mas mabuti nang walang tulog kesa walang gising." True... True...


Get involved. Krisha ♥

krisha

Phasellus facilisis convallis metus, ut imperdiet augue auctor nec. Duis at velit id augue lobortis porta. Sed varius, enim accumsan aliquam tincidunt, tortor urna vulputate quam, eget finibus urna est in augue.

No comments: