maximizers vs satisficers

Some figures were tweaked but I know you’ll get the idea. These insights were formulated for our Psych 101 article, “Doing Better but Feeling Worse” by Iyengar, et. al, 2005, review.

Last Christmas, my best friend and I utilized our vacation by mall hopping. Sale items were all over the place which urged our impulses to buy some. At the end of the day, I noticed a difference on how we shopped by measuring the number of shopping bags our hands held. I had around three while she carries seven, if my memory serves me right. Gauging our expenses, it turned out that she spent more. I realized that I was a lot keener in choosing my purchases. She grabbed items that gave her more savings rather than the items that would cost her more but I know she will love.

Judging from this note, I may compare this incident to the two choice-making strategies presented by the research article, Doing Better but Feeling Worse. The two strategies differ by how choices are made by searching for possibilities. Maximizing entails searching of all possibilities. My best friend’s choice of purchases can be associated with the said strategy. She searches all possibilities that may give her a better outcome – having more savings. Satisficing, on the other hand, searches for possibilities until a more acceptable outcome emerges. My preference on the item matters more. Savings, in my case, isn’t important as long as I like what I’m buying.

The research was able to show me that maximizing tendencies are negatively correlated with happiness. Satisfaction is one large aspect in choice-making. Maximizers tend to focus more on the benefits of the best outcome. As a result, evaluating the “affective costs” options are sacrificed. This makes maximizers less happy besides the fact that they acquire better opportunities. This leaves us the question, “What should people do when doing better makes them feel worse?” (Iyengar, et. al, 2005)

productivity. krisha ♥

krisha

Phasellus facilisis convallis metus, ut imperdiet augue auctor nec. Duis at velit id augue lobortis porta. Sed varius, enim accumsan aliquam tincidunt, tortor urna vulputate quam, eget finibus urna est in augue.

No comments: