a time for elders

We visited Luwalhati ng Maynila in Marikina today. Luwalhati ng Maynila houses around 200 elders for 43 years. This was my first time to do an outreach. It was strenuous but very fulfilling.

I met a lot of lolos and lolas. All of them have different personalities. Some of them were quiet and meek while some are loud and full of energy. Our organization, UP IECEP, conducted a program to at least put a smile in each of their faces. *cross fingers* I really hope they enjoyed our presentation. I was impromptu-edly tasked to lead the prayer. As usual, I stuttered yet I managed to get through. Nonetheless, there are no rights and wrongs when it comes to prayer. As long as you do it with sincerity and fear with Him, it's acceptable.

Together with Nina, Zarah and Juisey, I danced a number of songs ranging from oldies to novelties. The last song was Igiling-giling by Willie Revillame. We thought of making them dance to this tune. Unfortunately, I think they got awestrucked with us that only a few participated in our gimmick. The second presentation was Nat, Ate Rach and Hazel's song prod. I think they sang about two songs before proceding to our next act which was the games. We let them play stop dance. A lola made "tampo" with us when we didn't select her to be one of the five best dancers in the bunch. She and another super energetic lolo was supposed to dance but she ended up throwing tantrums. She was making face throughout the program which made me a little bothered. Another lola was also able to give a huge impression. She was happy seeing us. She kept on boasting her beaded necklaces and bracelets that I think she keeps on repeating to make. We can't understand a word coming from her. But, I put up a facade of understanding what lola is saying. It's not like I'm fooling her but it's a form of saying that I do/need to understand her deep within. Also, I was able to meet a lolo that has a spirit of a... lola. In short, he was gay. No pun intended, I got impressed by him. He even told be that during his younger years, he was prettier and sexier than me. 'Imagine that coming from an 60-70 yrs old lolo/lola. I also got impressed with a lolo who taught me a little ballroom dancing. He boasts that he was the one who teaches others how to dance. He was very cool lolo with very smooth moves. Some of them didn't really have the patience. Some of them also want to impress us and their fellow elders by showing their talents like dancing and singing.

Ate Mo, our president was able to guide the flow of the program. A couple of parts was in chaos but she managed to break free. Bermie, presided that closing of the program. Most elders were like, "pay us another visit again" while others didn't care at all. Kidding aside, we needed to respect their privacy. If they don't want to participate, then we won't force them. It's a form of RESPECT for me. We played the last song and danced our hearts out with the energetic lolos and lolas. I was able to dance with, I guess, 5 lolos and lolas. And since I'm not good with remembering names, my mind slipped of their names five minutes after asking what are theirs.

All in all, I really hope they have spend their remaining years happily in Luwalhati ng Maynila. I really pity their relatives who just left them. They missed their chance of living with great people who have huge hearts. If you'll give them the kind of love they deserve, they'll give you the same love or even greater.

In all honesty, I have the fear of getting old. I fear that I might spend my golden days alone without the people I love. Those people in there experienced, if not, experiences the pain of being abandoned. Being by themselves and feeling the sadness of not having those whom you want to spend the rest of your days. Yes, there exists people like us who lend happiness to them. But it only lasts for a day or two. Long time happiness for them, I think, would be just atleast seeing their children and relatives, hug and kiss them.

Love is not lent. It is kept like a yeast in a dough. You might set the dough aside. But once you come back for it, you'll see that it blossoms, the same thing when the dough starts to rise.

that's right Krisha ♥

krisha

Phasellus facilisis convallis metus, ut imperdiet augue auctor nec. Duis at velit id augue lobortis porta. Sed varius, enim accumsan aliquam tincidunt, tortor urna vulputate quam, eget finibus urna est in augue.

No comments: